BEST OF 2023: TOP ALBUMS AND TOP SONGS

First thing's first in this year end wrap up. This blog unequivocally stands with Palestine in the struggle for freedom and against colonization.

Now to the music. This year was a wild ride with music, and my end-of-year wrap up was much more difficult and surprising than last year. ANOHNI's "My Back Was a Bridge For You To Cross" which I expected all year to be my AOTY, I relistened to this past week and all the sudden started hating! lol. And a bunch of my albums in my top were albums that took a while for me to like and to ultimately love.

Same as last year, these are not necessarily my most highly rated albums, but the ones I loved the most/came back to/thought were doing the best coolest most radical stuff. Lots of rearranging and relistening to get to this final list. For context, I listened to and rated 288 albums this year, 175 of which were released in 2023. I also put out 232 new reviews on my blog this year! :P 

Besides #freePalestine, I've decided the theme for this year is also the YEAR OF GREAT LIVE ALBUMS. Soooo many greats and probably at least these 2 would have made my AOTY list if they were not covers of previously released songs (felt unfair to let them be in the AOTY category). Alright let's get to it. 

Spotify Playlist Here!!


TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2023

1. Greg Mendez by Greg Mendez

2. The Land, The Water, The Sky by Black Belt Eagle Scout

3. The Land Is Inhospitable And So Are We by Mitski

4. Embarrassing Times by Tony Molina

5. This Stupid World by Yo La Tengo

6. The Ballad of Darren by Blur

7. Girl With Fish by feeble little horse

8. Everyone's Crushed by Water From Your Eyes

9. Atlas by Laurel Halo

10. Erotic Probiotic 2 by Nourished By Time


Honorary Mentions

softscars by Yeule

Rat Saw God by Wednesday


Top EP's of 2023

1. happyyy by Blue Smiley

2. EP #33 by This Is Lorelei

3. Christmas Turtle by C Turtle

4. towncryer by untitled (halo)


Top Live/Cover Albums of 2023

1. Some Kinda Love: Performing The Music Of The Velvet Underground by The Feelies

2. The Bunker Sessions (EP) by Yo La Tengo

3. And the Wind (Live and Loose!) by MJ Lenderman


Top 20 Songs of 2023 

1. 14, Water From Your Eyes

2. Want to Know (Loft Version), Free Range 

3. Spaces, Black Belt Eagle Scout

4. Jelsy, Bar Italia

5. Tears can be so soft, Christine and the Queens

6. Goodbye / Trouble, Greg Mendez

7. Steamroller, feeble little horse

8. my kiss era, Bar Italia

9. Aselestine, Yo La Tengo

10. Black Walls, TV Buddha

11. again, Total Wife

12. Super Shy, New Jeans

13. Barbaric, Blur

14. STROK, Gaadge

15. Rinsed, Dean Blunt & TYSON

16. Sinatra Drive Breakdown - Bunker Session, Yo La Tengo

17. Protocol, Hotline TNT

18. Lullabies and Glue or My Brother, This Is Lorelei

19. For Granted, Yaeji

20. catalogue, julie



Comments

  1. nice list! i disagree heavily with 14 being the #1 song and also think haunted mountain should be included. album wise, i like your list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts