Greg Mendez, Greg Mendez (9/10)

I actually just found out about Greg Mendez today, but wow he's amazing!! Released this album on 5/5/23 w Forged Artifacts. It's a short and sweet 9 song, 23 minute LP, but it does a heck of a lot in that short time! The next Alex G/Elliott Smith???? idk! Maybe!!! He's giving both of those artists in lots of moments across this little album. Some great organ/synth in addition to a kind of very Elliott Smithian guitar mode very. One of my fav records from the year, and def my fav new artist of the moment! Fav tracks: Maria, Goodbye / Trouble, Sweetie

Revision 12/14/23

Just decided to name this my top album of the year and up it to a 9. I feel like it's similar to a Elliott Smith album, where at first it's nice but songs kinda sound similar, but ultimately what's so great about it is that each song grows on you over time to a point where several dif songs have been my fav at one point and I keep discovering new amazing things about each. I really think he is the new Elliott Smith but also doesn't feel like its copying him. Songwriting is fantastic. Such a fan. 


Comments

Popular Posts