Romance, Fontaines D.C. (6/10)

I somehow missed the release of the new Fontaines D.C. album, which came out 8/23/24 w XL Recordings. I didn't have very high expectations after not liking the singles besides "Favourite" that much. And Bella had said that there was some discourse on tiktok about Fontaines jumping the shark since getting big bc now that they're rich they have nothing to write about. I have not seen the tiktok discourse myself. But it's not like I ever really listened to them for their lyrics so I'm not sure if I take that critique (tho the music is def getting less (post) punk). After they released the single "Starburster," it did seem like they were going in kinda a new direction (more hip-hop-y than straight up post punk) which I didn't love for them, but they do return to their more rocky roots along w some more ballady type songs in this album. Exceeded my expectations I think bc they were low. They are still makin some good tunes, tho def like less than Skinty Fia. Fav tracks: Desire, Bug, Favourite


 

Comments

Popular Posts