my anti-aircraft friend, julie (8/10)

My most anticipated album of the year probably came out yesterday 9/14/24 w Atlantic (crazy). I've listened to it about three times now and I'm still having trouble figuring out my thoughts. Given that julie has taken their sweet time (4 years+) w their debut LP, my expectations were sky high. I can't quite tell yet if the album met my expectations or disappointed a little, but it's hard bc the songs are all so dense that they might not be as catchy at first listen and might grow on me a lot w time. My fav two are still "Catalogue" and "Clairbourne Practice" which were released as singles, but I don't mind too much cuz I think all the new songs are interesting and good as well. I don't know. Maybe I just am giving them too much credit and I actually was a bit disappointed. I'm really curious to know what other people think. Will report back if my thoughts change. Love the album cover though. Fav tracks: catalogue, clairbourne practice, thread, stitch

Revised 9/24/24. Okay switching my rating from an 8/10 to a 7/10. julie has been very vocal about being 100% intentional about every decision in their artistry, from the cohesive album artwork/social media to the delayed album release, and I think knowing this made me feel that it would pay off in terms of how I received it (ie even if I didn't love the songs, they would grow on me), but it's been a few weeks now and I still just don't love any of the newer songs that much. The singles still are great and I do have appreciation for all the songs, but a bit disappointed ngl. 

Revised 9/25/24. Okay listening again and switching back to 8/10 😭😭 am jamming currently


 

Comments

Popular Posts