Future Perfect, Autolux (9/10)

Haven't reviewed old music in a while, but I was just astonished by this album so here we are. I think I'd seen this album on a lot of lists of shoegaze and alt rock but hadn't listened before. Can't remember why I stumbled on it a few weeks ago, but I've been pretty obsessed w it since. The debut album of LA band Autolux, "Future Perfect" came out 10/26/04. It's noisy and shoegazey with great drums, but so are a lot of great albums. What makes it stand out so much? I think sometimes nugaze bands rely so much on distortion and noise to do the heavy lifting that the actual riffs can lack.  Also sometimes the vocals get hidden behind the noise, which is fine. But I think on this album, the vocals and guitar and drums aren't hidden behind the noise, just accentuated by it. I know they were an inspiration for Julie, and I really see that a lot. Awesome stuff. Fav tracks: Sugarless, Angry Candy, Turnstile Blues



Comments

Popular Posts