Tow Truck Jesus, Superfan (6/10)

Tow Truck Jesus is the debut album of Superfan, the new moniker of Kali Flanagan (fka KALI), released 6/28/24. I'd heard of KALI and maybe listened to a song or two, but didn't have much of a relationship to Flanagan's music. I believe this is also the first music he's released since transitioning (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Tbh I don't love the vocals and for once I also didn't love the blown out guitars, but wow the lyricism is wild. So raw and honest and gutwrenching. As a young trans person and poet, I have so much respect and admiration for these lyrics. Won't be listening to these songs on repeat, but just the experience of listening to the album was like listening to a book or something, and I'd recommend. I also have been told that transitioning (towards masculinity) wrecks your voice, and I think it's so cool that Flanagan as a musician did it regardless and is still putting out music (part of why I'm giving the vocals some grace). Fav tracks: Sewn Up and Handsome, Twilight Living, Intwilbtmicai



Comments

Popular Posts