The Sunset Violent, Mount Kimbie (6/10)

Mount Kimbie dropped their latest album, "The Sunset Violent," on 4/5/24 w Warp Records. It's a solid and fun album. I like a lot of Mount Kimbie songs but haven't been following them super closely by any means. This album was dancier than I expected -- sometimes sounding more rock-y (more guitar maybe?) than I remember and then on others synths which provide that dancey pop element. With King Krule on two songs, this def goes into the category of experimental r&b/electronic to me. The Pitchfork review brought their sound into comparison w Stereolab, Sonic Youth, and Young Marble Giants, but I see less of those bands and more of King Krule or Yves Tumor or Dean Blunt. Part of why I don't really accept the Pitchfork comparison is that I feel like Mount Kimbie is really doing anything as novel as any of those 90's bands, all of which who seem, to me, to be so invested in experimentation. Fav tracks: Dumb Guitar, Shipwreck, A Figure In The Surf



Comments

Popular Posts