Diamond Jubilee, Cindy Lee (9/10)

 WOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazin. And Pitchfork gave this album a 9.1 so my expectations were super high.  Cindy Lee, the drag persona/project of Patrick Flegel (from the band Women), released this double LP only on Youtube/digital download on 3/29/24. I saw it when it came out but didn't realize for a while that it was only on Youtube/didn't see it on Spotify so kept thinking it was going to be released later. Finally got around to listening yesterday and today. It is 32 songs (16 each side) at 122 minutes. And if you know me at all, you know my attention span is short and my preference is usually for short albums, but this was really worth the full time! And I'll definitely listen to the whole thing many more times. A seamless blend of vocals out of a 50's girl group and implementing a wide range of psychadelic/art rock techniques from the 60's 70's, and 80's, this shit is awesome and super sonically diverse. At times, I heard Brian Eno ("Demon Bitch" really reminds me of "I'll Come Running (to Tie Your Shoe)"). At other times, they sound like the Velvet Underground and still at other times you can really hear the echo of Women. An instant classic I think. So much incredible guitar. I'm really blown away. Fav tracks:  All I Want Is You, Demon Bitch, Lockstepp, Durham City Limit



Comments

Popular Posts