The Collective, Kim Gordon (2/10)

Hm ok. Let me just say up front that I am a huge Kim Gordon fan. She is an idol of mine truly and one of my favorite musicians of all time. I actually wasn't going to post this review since it is not so favorable and I thought what if Kim Gordon sees this one day and then I've ruined it all 😭 But I just read the Perfectly Imperfect interview w Ryan Schreiber, founder of Pitchfork, who talks about the importance of unfavorable reviews, and I thought ya know what fuck it. Anyways, Kim dropped this album on 3/8/24 w Matador. It's basically her singing/talking/rapping over rlly blown out trap beats. I've tried to give it several chances since the singles were released but I rlly find it unlistenable. And everyone seems to love it!!!!!! All the criticism I've seen has been like omg Kim is so cool and this is so amazing and she's as cool as ever. Pitchfork even gave it an 8.5. But in my hot take opinion I think her age is showing. Oh gosh cancel me for being ageist. But idk there's something different about her doing this talky thing now over these bass-driven beats from her doing it 30 years ago over the absolute shreddage of Thurston and Lee. Maybe my bias is just genre or something (idk tho i luv a good bass heavy beat). Idk. Anyways, she's still a hero of mine forever. Sorry Kim I still love u. 😭😭😭



Comments

Popular Posts