Where we've been, Where we go from here, Friko (8/10)

Damn. Friko is extremely good. Pitchfork said something about them bringing back 2000's indie, which I definitely hear in the shaky vocals. But I'd say this reminds me of that blended w BCNR. There's a kind of theatricality in both (see Sufjan Stevens Chicago) that I def see in here. Sometimes that can feel overwrought/cringy for me, but this album managed to avoid that pitfall here for me mostly bc of the absolute shreddage that occurs occassionally and the experimentation in instrumentation and recording. A tour de force. And the emotional arc of the whole album... I could cry at the end of it. Certainly a contender for AOTY. Fav tracks: Where We've Been, Get Numb To It! Crashing Through


Wow I was so impressed I forgot to say this came out 2/16/24 w ATO Records.

 


Comments

Popular Posts