Music Makes Me Think of You: A Collection, Mad Planets (9/10)

Okay wow have listened to this album four times today. Found this album from a recent interview that Julie did, citing Mad Planets as a source of inspiration. I'm a big fan of Julie and most of the 90's bands they were citing like Sonic Youth or MBV, so I assumed I'd like their recommendation, and man, did I!

Mad Planets, the Long Island 90's trio consisting of Tara Emelye Needham, Erik Robinson, and John Kapp, released "Music Makes Me Think of You: A Collection" in 1999 w Papercut Records. I do have to say this was an album that got better w each consecutive listen. For some reason, some of the melodies I found kind of strange and off-putting initially, but they all really grew on me. The bass and drums are just so good. I mean and you can't forget the guitar lol. And I love the kind of Life Without Buildings/Sonic Youth talking thing they've got going on. They shred at moments. But are also art rocky/poppy in the best sense, meaning keeping it really fresh and innovative. It doesn't feel derivative to me of those iconic bands, which I appreciate. And I also like the double vocals which do remind me of Sonic Youth. There's a re-pressing on vinyl this spring of this album, and I'll def be getting a copy hehe. Fav tracks: Gold Monte Carlo, Phineas Gage, Paperchase



Comments

Popular Posts