Haunted Mountain, Jolie Holland (6/10)

On 10/6/23, a couple months after Buck Meek released his album of the same name, Jolie Holland released hers w 4AD. I've been a big Jolie Holland fan for a while, but I listened to the beginning of her version of the eponymous song, and I just thought it felt like a twangier version of Buck Meeks, which I liked so much. Well I definitely never listened to the whole song all the way thru, cuz it notches up w some great electric guitar tones. For this reason, I also though the album would be a pretty typical kinda indie folk/folk album, and I haven't super been in the mood for that genre, which is why it took me a couple months to get to. I was pleasantly surprised tho! Starting w that first song which uses that same dope electric guitar tone towards the end, the album is not a typical album of the acoustic genre. At some points it's even kinda experimental and circus-y, which I didn't really love but respect. She's an epic songwriter. And this is a quite nice album. Fav tracks: 2,000 Miles, Haunted Mountain, Me And My Dream

 


Comments

Popular Posts