Javelin, Sufjan Stevens (7/10)

Yesterday (10/6/23) Sufjan dropped this new album w Asthmatic Kitty Records, and it's already gotten more press than any other album this year I feel like. For good reason. Sufjan had been hospitalized earlier this year and in treatment for Guillain-Barré syndrome, a rare autoimmune disease. He also came out with this album and dedicated to his partner who passed earlier this year. 😭😭 And obviously he's got a cult following. So all of this combined for lots of talk and anticipation over this to-be-devastating album. And I'm not gonna lie, I didn't listen to it yesterday cuz I actually thought it was going to be too sad. But it's surprisingly optimistic, I feel like. Filled with a lot of really whimsical little folky and choir-y songs that are reminiscent of the Carrie & Lowell era. It's romantic and sad, but the acoustic instrumentation still makes it feel really sweet and hopeful. It's a great album and obvi Sufjan is an amazing lyricist. Giving it a 7 cuz these aren't songs I'm gonna keep listening to over and over again, but I could see how someone could give it an 8 or 9 for sure. Fav tracks: Will Anybody Ever Love Me?, My Red Little Fox, So You Are Tired



Comments

Popular Posts