HELLMODE, Jeff Rosenstock (7/10)

UMM I am so late to the Jeff Rosenstock game I guess???? This album dropped on 8/31/23, and I'd seen a few folks posting about it, so I listened to the top song on Spotify which is "LIKED U BETTER," and found it a bit noisy. I finally got around to listening to the whole album yesterday on the plane, and man, I was so so impressed!!!!!! The album does start off a little noisy/midwest emo shout-y, which is not to say those songs aren't as good, but it does drift away from that a little as the album progresses. I'd say it's a mix of midwest emo and shoegaze and phil elverum esque storytelling/songwriting. Really really awesome stuff unlike anything I've really heard before. It's probs closest to midwest emo, but there's some really amazing shoegazey distortion on some of the songs and just really novel instrumentation. It's also pretty diverse, which is why I'd recommend listening to the whole album and not getting turned off by the first few songs even if you're not into them. Wow! Such a fan. So so dope. Fav tracks: DOUBT, SOFT LIVING, HEALMODE 

Ok Edit on 12/5/23. Switched from an 8 to a 7 now that I'm listening for my top albums of the year. Still good but just don't love as much anymore for some reason. 



Comments

Popular Posts