STRUGGLER, Genesis Owusu (7/10)

Genesis Owusu just dropped his sophomore LP, "STRUGGLER" on 8/18/23 w AWAL Recordings. Man! I was really impressed!!!!! I didn't realize this, but in reading about the album, it's a concept album that follows the struggles of a little cockroach as a kind of epic (see Kafka). I'd liked some of Owusu's older stuff that reminded me of a kind of Brockhampton electro/synth heavy rap vibe, but I think what I was most impressed about on this album is the real diversity of genres. You get that classic Brockhamptonian and sometimes JPEG vibes in the first few songs, but there's also some slower songs that sound like Anderson .Paak a little, some more chill upbeat stuff that reminded me of Channel Tres, and lots of stuff in genres all in between. My personal favs are still the ones in that first category, but I bet fans of many dif genres will find this album compelling. Thumbs up from me. Will be jamming to some of these for a while. Fav tracks: Leaving the Light, The Roach, Tied Up!



Comments

Popular Posts