The Age of Pleasure, Janelle Monáe (6/10)

Another 6/9/23 release, Janelle Monáe released their latest album, "The Age of Pleasure" with Wondaland Productions. Honestly, it was about what I expected. I'd kinda forgotten about Monáe as a musician since they've been doing so much other stuff lately (like being in Knives Out 2). I went in thinking it was gonna be kinda cringey lol, but I was pretty impressed with the opening of the album! Altho the songs are definitely poppy, there's some bangers for sure and a wide range of features including Doechii, Grace Jones(!), and Amaarae. That said, the album got worse for me as it progressed, and by the end I was like ok this is cringey lol. Specifically the song "Only Have Eyes 42" really got me; it's a rendition of the 1959 Flamingoes hit, "I Only Have Eyes For You," but I guess Monáe wants a threesome? Lolololol. Anyways, the whole album is super gay and horny, and I'm sure will be an anthem this pride month for lots of lil gays and enbies. Honestly, the Pride gods really blessed us this month w the Amaarae drop and this one. Too poppy for me but I see the appeal. Fav tracks: Float (feat. Seun Kuti & Egypt 80), Champagne Shit, The French 75 (feat. Sister Nancy)



Comments

Popular Posts