Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd, Lana Del Rey (8/10)

Okay I'm gonna be upfront and say that I am not an OG lana fan. I passively listened to her stuff in high school but never really followed her that closely. my bad?? I didn't have huge expectations for this album but UM it exceeded my expectations by 300%. It came out on 3/24/23 and was again produced by Jack Antonoff (et. al). I feel like the lazy critique of Lana that I had was that a lot of her stuff sounded similar to me, but I guess that can also happen when you don't listen that closely. This album does probably have a few too many piano ballads for my taste, but there's also a ton of really interesting stuff happening and two interludes including one of a sermon (which I think is ironic) and one with some great piano from Jon Batiste. I feel like, kind of like Ethel Cain, she really leans into her persona, and as someone who can relate to girlhood, it feels so specific to that. Waiting for her to hook up with Ethel please. Cannot overstate how impressed I was with this project, which is nice because I've been a bit disappointed with some of my most anticipated albums of the year (Black Belt Eagle Scout, Yves - both very good albums but not impeccable). Go talk to your ex and get drunk and cry alone to this album. She's also just so silly sometimes I luv it. Favorite tracks: Let the Light In (feat. Father John Misty), Taco Truck x VB, Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)

PS: why is Judah Smith Interlude giving The Last of Us Ep 8 😭😭 


Comments

Popular Posts