Let's Start Here., Lil Yachty (7/10)

The music world was shaken last week by Lil Yachty dropping his psychedelic, Pink-Floyd-inspired, Mac-DeMarco-and-Alex-G-including, rock album (1/27/23). I am among the most shaken... I fuckin love it. The first song, "the BLACK seminole." has got to be in the runner for me for song of the year. Did Lil Yachty just rip off Dark Side of the Moon? maybe a little bit in terms of the moves he makes (the guitar solos, the synth, etc.). but I think he does novel enough stuff to get a way w it. This is an album, similar to Preacher's Daughter, where I actually don't love a lot of songs on the album, but I'm still gonna give it a pretty high score because I think the concept is novel enough to counter that, and there are some songs that are just fucking awe-inspiring. Lil Yachty has officially entered the Yves-Tumor-verse it seems, and I'm happy to have more artists in that universe. The album also is really varied! which resulted in me not loving some of the songs, but I always appreciate an album that doesn't get boring. Yes. Favorite album of 2023 of mine so far... altho it's only January. Favorite tracks: the BLACK seminole., REACH THE SUNSHINE., running out of time



Comments

Popular Posts