SOS, SZA (5/10)

Ok I know people are going to come for me for this review lol - but it's my blog and I'm not gonna lie. I THOUGHT THIS ALBUM WAS SO MID. SZA dropped her follow-up to 2017 Ctrl on 12/9/22, and it has just absolutely blown up to no one's surprise. It's a pretty long album - 23 songs over 1hr and 8 minutes - exploring her continued relationship to men (even tho I thought she said she was a lesbian a little bit ago lmao). I've truthfully never been the biggest SZA fan mostly because it's always been kind of poppy R&B and just too poppy for me, so perhaps it's not surprising that I didn't love this album. But the other aspect of this album is just that I didn't find it relatable at all as a lesbian who hates men and who is in a very healthy relationship lol. It's kind of like when a straight friend is complaining to me and I just nod and feel bad for them bc men aren't shit but I can't really relate at all. I know and admit SZA is v talented, but I found myself bored during this album and a bunch of the tracks ended up running together for me. That said, since these tracks are everywhere now (tiktok, radio, etc.), some tracks are starting to grow on me a bit with the repetition. Also two side notes lol: 1) people are loving that F2F is a Black reclaiming of pop punk lol but why reclaim it I just HATE THIS GENRE and 2) Nobody Gets Me sounds so much like The Climb era Miley Cyrus WHY😭. Favorite tracks: Seek & Destroy, Blind, Shirt


Comments

Popular Posts