Spells (EP), Nailah Hunter (6/10)

Put on by Pitchfork, Spells is the debut EP from LA based composer/instrumentalist Nailah Hunter (2020). I'm p into ambient/experimental instrumental, so I was excited to get into this. It's a pretty short EP with six songs totaling just over 11 minutes. Tbh I liked but did not love. As far as instrumental stuff goes, it didn't feel as interesting and novel as some of the other composers I've really liked this year (Omori, Chiu, et. al), but it's still quite pleasant to listen to and she's clearly a talented musician. It also felt a little too mystical princess-y (in the least condescending way possible) for my particular taste in the genre. All that said, it's still some very impressive stuff and I will def keep following her career. :p Favorite tracks: Soil: Song From Silence, Quiet Light

 


Comments

Popular Posts