The Way of Ging, Frank Dukes (6/10)

Okay what the hell haha. I'd never heard of Frank Dukes before but apparently the man behind the moniker is super famous?? lol. No one even recommended this album to me, it just came up on my Spotify last week and I liked it. It's a really funny and strange tiny little thing: only 15 minutes 37 seconds in running time with barely any lyrics other than the opening song which starts in a kid's voice: "Sup. I'm Frank Dukes and I'm making music." 😂 Other than that, it's almost entirely beats and synth sounds that wind up being funky little instrumental grooves. I was like who is this man since the only album out on Spotify under his name is this one and his bio says nothing other than a picture of a gravestone with Frank Dukes (2000-2021) on it?? So I'm like okay this is some kind of anonymous funky producer who makes sick little songs. Right?

And then I look him up and Wikipedia says he (Adam King Feeney) who goes by the name Frank Dukes is a prolific Canadian producer, songwriter, and DJ who has worked with Camila Cabello, The Weeknd, Post Malone, and Wu-Tang Clan and whose samples have been used by Drake, Kanye, Travis Scott, and Taylor Swift? Ahahaha. And he's won 3 grammies from over 30 nominations???? 😂😂 lmfao. Anyways, that was quite the shocker for me. Oh he also recently has retired the persona of Frank Dukes (hence the gravestone) after this album came out in 2021. 

But this album is cute and teeny and pretty funky with 9 songs in 15 minutes, eight of them with the name Prince in the title 😭. So strange. I am def a fan of his. It's also called The Way of Ging, which I'm not sure if that's a reference to Hunter X Hunter, but if it is, I love it. Favorite tracks: A Likkle Prince, The Classic Prince, The Prince Lives

 


Comments

Popular Posts