Paranoid (2012 Remaster), Black Sabbath (6/10)

So I'd always thought of Black Sabbath as a pretty heavy metal band similar to maybe a Metallica. Recently, though, the song "Planet Caravan" from this album came up on my Spotify and I was like ??? :o whoa this is dope and not heavy metal at all lmao - in fact that song reminded me of Bowie's "Moss Garden" or a David Byrne song - very dif from what I thought of as Black Sabbath's sound. So, realizing I'd never actually listened to Black Sabbath, I decided to give this whole album a chance, and I'm glad I did! I guess the sound of metal has changed a lot because my dad said that, at the time this album came out it was way more metal than anything at the time, but metal has gotten much more ~metal~ over the years, and now I'd just call this album hard rock if anything. And I like rock. So I liked it! The album is eight tracks over 41 minutes and came out originally in 1970, although I listened to the 2012 remaster. "Planet Caravan" is pretty anomalous on the album for it's quiet and more experimental/instrumental sound, but the rest are pretty just good hard rock with sick guitar and great drums. I have to say I like the first half of the album (the first four songs) a lot more than the second half, which I found to be a bit boring/sounded too similar for me. The 6/10 is mostly for this reason -- but don't be fooled as the first half of this album goes really fucking hard and is great music. Favorite tracks: Planet Caravan, Paranoid, Iron Man 


Comments

Popular Posts