MOTOMAMI, ROSALÍA (5/10)

Ok tbh I was really disappointed by this album, which I know hasn't been the general reaction (I've mostly seen pretty positive reception of it). When it first came out on 3/18/22, I listened to the first song, "SAOKO" and luvvvved it but didn't have to time to do a full album listen. I thought the whole album would be similar - really heavy beats with her kind of rap/singing, but in actuality the album is a lot more poppy ballads/songs that remind me of a musical(??) than rap lol. Moreover, while I like Rosalía's voice, I didn't actually like most of the songs. I don't know much about Spanish music, but it does seem to draw on Spanish traditions in songs like "LA FAMA" or "DELIRIO DE GRANDEZA" (are these Spanish traditions? or colonized from South American/Latin American traditions? i wish i knew), which depending on what tradition it's drawing on could be cool or not. Favorite tracks: SAOKO, BIZCOCHITO


Comments

Popular Posts