Hold On Baby, King Princess (4/10)

KP has gone, in my mind, from gay icon/pop star to someone I don't particularly like/care about over the past 5 years. Along with their public persona getting a bit annoying and their alleged attempt to fight Snail Mail, I also feel like their music has gotten worse?? Talia and 1950 were anthems for me in high school, but I haven't really liked anything they've released since Pussy is God (also iconic). The fourth and final release of 7/29/22 that I listened to, I mostly listened to this album because I felt it in my responsibilities as a young lesbian. While I didn't really like any of the songs on the album, I enjoyed hearing their perspective on the drama of their breakups and relationships. One of my critiques of KP is that they seem (from a very outsider perspective) to be a bit of a spoiled and problematic white lesbian/transmasc. Again while I didn't like the actual music on this album, I do think the album reveals that they have done a lot of personal work as they explore their gender (which I respect and admire in the candor) and insecurities. In "Hold On Baby Interlude," they write, "I'm a clown that needs attention and I want them laughing harder. I'm the problematic leading man," which I think really speaks to the kind of introspection that a lot of white tranmasc people need to be doing. So I respect that a lot. Even though I'm still mad at them for trying to fight Snail Mail. Favorite tracks: Little Bother (feat. FousheƩ)


Comments

Popular Posts