High School, Tim Heidecker (4/10)

Okay so I thought I liked Tim Heidecker because the song "Oh How We Drift Away" with Weyes Blood was probably one of my most played songs last year. Turns out Weyes Blood's vocals are doing a lot on that song lol. And it turns out that I do not like Tim Heidecker's vocals very much. I found this whole album to be quite meh, although the music is all pretty decent. Like if I heard someone playing a song from this album, I would never question it, but none of the songs I really wanted to listen to again or found very special, and 39 minutes of it ended up feeling quite tedious for me. Like a lot of the artists I've been reviewing lately, he exists somewhere between indie rock and country and is very good at the guitar - notably his picking in this album. But idk I just didn't really feel moved by any of it. There's only one feature, a fact which probably added to the tedium for me, and it's a Kurt Vile feature which isn't too bad. Because I don't particularly love Heidecker's voice but actually enjoy his guitar playing, I think I would have liked more features - like a Waxahatchee feature would be greattt. However, I dislike the trend of a jillion features on albums, so I can admire the resistance to that. Favorite tracks: Buddy, Sirens of Titan, Kern River

PS. The album's generally gotten good reviews and I do see how someone could give this album an 8 or 9 if you like his voice/this genre more than I do - so take the 4 with a grain of salt

 

Comments

Popular Posts