Empty Seats, TOPS (7/10)

It's EP day apparently! lol. I'd first heard the first track off this EP, "Perfected Steps," a few months ago at least (I think Spotify suggested it?) and was like whoaaa. Even though TOPS is a young contemporary band, they sound soooo much like they're out of the 70's or another decade; def not 2020's lol. I remember when I had that first listen, I was like they sound more like Fleetwood Mac than any other band I've heard. Now that I've listened to the whole EP, I don't think they always sound like FM, but I stand by the assertion that "Perfected Steps" could be straight out of Rumours. It's fun, groovy, funky, and sometimes even jazzy pop; it's pretty cool. And I think besides Jane Penny's Stevie Nicks-esque voice, the keys on this EP are probably the most notable aspect to me and provide that groovy jazzy sound to the songs. Gonna have to listen to some of their older stuff for sure. Favorite tracks: Perfected Steps, Janet Planet


 

Comments

Popular Posts