Versions of Modern Performance, Horsegirl (8/10)

A very strong debut for Chicago-based band, Horsegirl. I've been following Horsegirl for a few years now as they've released a few singles here and there that I've really enjoyed. They are super young - late teens or very early twenties. Super talented and bringing back older sounds of grungey indie rock. I liked the singles they had released from this album, and I also liked the songs they didn't include as singles. There's a few great instrumental interludes I really fucked with. They've got some great really weird lyrics and a lot of just jamming on the guitar. Good old fashioned indie rockers, and you can definitely track their inspirations as they've talked about Sonic Youth, and they remix the lyrics from a Gang of Four song on "World of Pots and Pans." Except they are tiny lil babies. Very excited to see the trajectory of this band, and I know they've already gotten quite a lot of recognition. I think this was a great debut album. Favorite tracks: Anti-glory, World of Pots and Pans, The Guitar is Dead 3

 


Comments

Popular Posts