The Modern Lovers, The Modern Lovers (8/10)

Uhg. I love the Modern Lovers and Jonathan Richman. This is a great album with Richman's signature vocals and lyrics oozing self-deprecating irony and humor. Even the title of the album, "The Modern Lovers," seems to fit into this conceit where several of the songs are about wanting a girlfriend ("Girlfriend," "Someone I Care About," "Hospital," etc.) and the kind of toxic masculinity that is present in Richman - he repeats the notion of wanting a girlfriend like a bajillion times. The ever-present toxicity of the sensitive, adoring, can-never-get-a-girl man; he says, "Well I won't pretend I like a girl if I really don't / And act like she's great when she makes me feel appalled / All I want is a girl that I care about" in "Someone I Care About." Of course we only ever hear his voice in his twangy whiny lovesick tone (that is so great) and not any girl's lol. The album reaches peak ironic climax, of course, at the song, "I'm Straight," where Richman yells "I'm straight" over and over - illustrating the epitome of his masculine insecurities. Absolute gold (if he's not being ironic and I'm reading way too much into this w my gay self, lmao. But how can I???? It's all in there). And of course the actual music itself is also gold. Great rock and roll. Great drums. Great guitar with an especially impressive showing in the song, "Girlfriend." Was very close to giving this album a nine but some of the songs in the second half of the album got a bit boring for me/sounded too similar. Uhg. I love this album though. Favorite tracks: Roadrunner, Girlfriend, I'm Straight, Someone I Care About - Alternative Version


Comments

Popular Posts