GLOW ON, Turnstile (5/10)

This is Turnstile's third studio album which debuted last year and did really well re: critical reception. I do see why people like it, and I can appreciate the sonic complexities for sure. That said, it's just not my really my taste, and with the exception of a few songs, most of the songs I wouldn't listen to for pleasure. Turnstile is pretty punk-y and, while I like some punk, Turnstile exists in the yelling-too-much too-discordant sound for me. That said, there are definitely some sickasss guitar riffs for sure, and I do agree they are talented. It makes sense, then, that my favorite songs on the album are the least punk ones lol, and those I super fuck with. There's two Blood Orange features which are great and Blood Orange's sound works well with them in terms of his kind of funky alt sound -- specifically ALIEN LOVE CALL was actually one of my favorite songs from last year. I think, for me, Turnstile is going to be a band that I like a few single songs from, but not one that I follow religiously or would enjoy a concert for. Anyways, give it a listen if you're into punk, and if you're not, just listen to the songs I recommend. Favorite tracks: ALIEN LOVE CALL, NEW HEART DESIGN, NO SURPRISE



Comments

Popular Posts