BREAK MY SOUL, Beyoncé (6/10)

Ok my friend Taiyo had a whole like five paragraph long thesis about this song and the way in which Bey is tapping into traditions of house/queer Black culture with this song and the ways in which it's doing that well and also could be better. I won't recount it here because I have a lot less knowledge than Taiyo on house and Black techno, but I really did agree with them. I think it's cool that Beyonce is exploring a new genre for her and also that she is clearly doing this for the (Black) gays during pride month. It's giving solidarity for sure. I also like the beat and think it's super danceable. That said, I also agree with Taiyo that it could be better, and I'm looking forward to seeing how people remix it to give it a bit more oomph/take it up a notch.


 

Comments

Popular Posts