Tired of Taking It Out On You, Wilco (4/10)

Tired of Taking It Out On You is the second single that Wilco has dropped off their new album coming May 27th. It sounds like a lot of Wilco songs. The guitar is good, and Jeff Tweedy sounds as good as ever. That being said, I decided to write this review because I think the conceit of the song is dumb. It is basically Tweedy cogitating on how he has treated his beloved (presumably his wife Sue Miller?) and the regrets he has about treating her poorly. While I think it is somewhat admirable for a man to be self-reflective, I mostly feel really bad for his wife? And to me it feels like the song does not make up for his actions or redeem him. Obviously I am not his wife lol. Anyways, I have very little patience for men who make art out of treating woman poorly (whether or not this is filled with regret) unless it is a really hard reckoning with American/global hetero-patriarchy which is not how I would characterize this song. Tbh it makes me feel rather critical of Tweedy. But the actual song isn't too bad. 



Comments

Popular Posts