Psychocandy, The Jesus and Mary Chain (8/10)

Psychocandy was the debut album of Scottish band, The Jesus and Mary Chain, released in 1985. It is a great album that I would wholeheartedly recommend. It is good old fashioned rock and roll, although perhaps a bit more alternative than mainstream. I've listened to it three times over the last 24 hrs, and there are only 3 songs on the album that I don't like; granted, there are two songs from the album that are not on Spotify, so I guess I will have to wait til I get this vinyl to report back on those. If I had to describe them, I would say they sound like a grungier and more noisy Pet Shop Boys (esp in "The Living Edge" and "The Hardest Walk") -- combining noise and sound with pop rhythms and melodies. So fucking good. Definitely a high 8 and would be a 9 if there weren't those few songs I didn't like; these three songs were a bit too noisy and not melodic enough for me, but if you're into that -- you'll dig them. Otherwise, the rest of the songs ran the gamut of grungey hard rock to more ambient shoegazy rock. Definitely think I'm gonna get really into this band in the next few months. Favorite tracks: Just Like Honey, Cut Dead, Taste of Cindy, Sowing Seeds



Comments

Popular Posts