piano songs, farewell, alaska (4/10)

So Fog Lake is one of my favorite bands, and farewell, alaska is an ambient/instrumental side project of theirs. Farewell, alaska just released this album, piano songs about a month ago, and it is pretty much exactly what you would expect given Fog Lake's music and the title of this album. It is 32 minutes of piano compositions with the characteristic grainy/raw quality of Fog Lake's stuff. While none of the pieces really resonated with my deeply (the reason for the low score), it was still definitely pleasant to listen to. I wish it had gotten a bit more risky and/or experimental (it begins to in "gladness / drone #3), but it's still a decent album of piano songs which is all it purports to be. Also the name of the project (farewell, alaska) reminds me of Looking for Alaska which I can't quite take as seriously as I would like to lmao. Favorite tracks: precipice, joker, last call

 


Comments

Popular Posts