Forgiveness, Girlpool (6/10)

I've been a huge Girlpool fan for a few years now, and their self-titled album from 2014 has to be one of my favorite albums of all time. Alongside Avery Tucker's transition, their sound has also changed dramatically over the last few years, going from very raw acoustic indie rock to more alt electronic pop. Really fuckin interesting. I like the new sound less than the old sound for sure, but I can respect the courage and bravery it takes to make that kind of transition as a successful band just as I can respect the courage and bravery it takes for someone, especially a vocal artist, to transition. That being said, I while I miss the aesthetic of old Girlpool, I still like this album. It has a range of sounds from some more acoustic songs like See Me Now to really kind of poppy dark electronic songs like Country Star to indie pop songs like Faultline. And even in the songs I like less (the first half of the album), the lyrics are really fucking good and I can get behind them as they deal with sexuality and queerness. On Nothing Gives Me Pleasure,  Harmony opens the album with, "Do you even want me if I have to ask? / Break it to me gently with your fingers up my ass." 😹😹 This is queerness in 2022. This album is a high 6, and it does better listening to the songs a few times. Favorite tracks: Faultline, Country Star, See Me Now, Light Up Later


Comments

Popular Posts