Bird Kill Worm, Melaina Kol (7/10)

I just discovered Melaina Kol a few days ago and really fuck with them. This is the first album of theirs I have listened to, though I would like to listen to the rest of them when I have time (they dropped three albums in 2018???). It is a very good kind of slowcore/indie folk album somewhere between Alex G and Fog Lake with even a bit of a Bright Eyes feel at points. While 2/3 of the album sound somewhat similar and there were definitely a few skips, I'd say 1/3 really push their limits in terms of experimenting with different sounds. When they do this, they succeed remarkably and these were often times my favorites. Lyrics are great. The guitar sounds a lot like Alex G which obviously I <3. It's messy and raw and I mostly luv. Cover art is also sick. Favorite tracks: Scum, Ant, Sun, Wiilt



Comments

Popular Posts