CODA, Sian Heder (7/10)

Watched CODA on the plane a few days ago with Bella. My dad had watched and told me it was a cute, feel-good movie which is what it was. I also saw a Tiktok that left a scathing review of CODA for centering the hearing character and its portrayal of the deaf community (I will try to find it). I think that critique is totally valid, and yet I still found myself moved by the movie and thinking afterwards long and hard about deafness, music, disability, and community. It was very sweet. Plot was a bit predictable/cinematography was nothing special, but I liked the fishing community/co-op arc. I don't think it should have won the Academy Award, but I did generally like it. The dad especially was very good, and I'm glad he won the Academy Award. 


 

Comments

Popular Posts